Week with Dior – Day 2. The “New Look”.
by Cashmere Wrap & Macadamia Nuts
The Dior Fashion House was founded on 16th December 1946 at Avenue Montaigne 16 in Paris by rather unknown designer Christian Dior, supported by his business associate Marcel Boussac. Shortly after the opening, the first collection was presented.
On the 12th February 1947 Christian Dior released Spring – Summer collection that is known in the history of fashion as the “New Look”. The collection announced the return of feminine lines and elegant silhouette inspired by flowers and characterized by slim, nipped in waist, full skirt, high heels, glows and hats. Dior designs celebrating femininity were well received by women, who after shortages and limitations of war years, were looking forward to the return of a classical elegance and pre war glamour. And glamorous it was, as for a creation of an average daytime dress, designer used as much as fifteen meters of material.
Dior’s “New Look” presented in collections created between 1947 and 1950 brought an important source of inspiration for fashion in the 1950ties. It also helped to reestablish Paris as a capital of world fashion, after it lost its celebrated position and fall from grace in the war days.
(Photo source: www.metmuseum.com)