Kitchen Stories. Chili Con Carne.
by Cashmere Wrap & Macadamia Nuts
A big casserole of Chili Con Carne is a life saver when entertaining at home, having little time for preparations. Ingredient list is basic and all goes down to chopping and opening of tins, followed by stirring and boiling. Once all is simmering in a casserole, you can set the dining table, clean up and with little luck make yourself look stunning.
Chili Con Carne
The list of ingredients is slightly unusual, as this time it won’t specify precise quantities. All depends on proportion that you prefer and units for canned/tinned vegetables that are typical in your country. On the whole, it is best to keep equal proportion of vegetables – both canned and fresh – one unit of beans, one unit of corn and so on; multiply minced meat four times in relation to a single unit of vegetables.
- 4 units of minced meat
- 1 big onion
- 1 unit of canned beans (white or red)
- 1 unit of canned chick peas
- 1 unit of canned corn
- 1 unit of chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 unit of chopped fresh carrots
- 1 jar of salsa sauce (hot)
- 3 to 4 jars of tomato spaghetti sauce
- ground chili, ground pepper and salt
- oil for frying
- On a frying pan fry minced meat with chopped onion until meat is well done.
- Move meat and onion into a casserole. Add chopped carrot, tomato sauce and salsa. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped mushrooms, simmer on small heat for another 15 minutes.
- Open canned vegetables. On a strainer drain them from liquid and gradually add into the casserole with simmering mixture.
- Bring to boil. According to preference spice with chili, pepper and salt.
Serve alongside cooked rice and with natural yoghurt or cream.